If you’re hitting the highway for a summer getaway soon, remember to stock up on healthy snacks to take along for the ride. That way, you won’t be forced to re-fuel on junk food from the gas station. Here are a few ideas for healthy snacks to pack in your travel bag:
- Easy-to-eat fresh produce like cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, celery, cucumbers, apples and bananas.
- Dried (or freeze-dried) fruit like apricots, cherries or strawberries.
- Nuts like almonds or pistachios.
- Seeds like pumpkin or sunflower.
- Low-sugar granola bars.
- High-fiber, low-sugar cereal.
- Single-serving packs of peanut or almond butter and whole-wheat crackers.
- Bottled water (to stay hydrated and avoid stops for soda).
Air-popped popcorn is also a great option, loaded with fiber to fill you up until you reach your destination. Healthy Lifestyles member Renee H. created her own gourmet recipe, perfect for road trips or movie nights at home. She recently shared it with us – see the recipe below.
“With all this flavor, you really don’t miss the salt,” says Renee. “It is tasty, crunchy and very healthy. And you can adjust the spices to your own taste to make it work for you.”
She recommends storing the leftover blend in an old spice shaker for the next time a gourmet snack attack hits!
Avoid a fast food freak-out
No matter how well you pack, you may still need to stop for a bite at a fast-food joint when you’re out on the road. So what are your best choices? Check out our 500-calorie, fast-food breakfast, lunch and dinner options to help you navigate those menus and keep your healthy eating habits on track.
- Sharecare – sharecare.com