Stress can’t always be avoided. But taking care of your body as well as your mind can help you successfully manage it. Healthy eating is key to taming stress, and certain minerals are actually known for aiding in the fight. Here are a few examples of what you may be missing – and how to boost your intake to beat stress:
- Stress-busting benefits: Improving your mood, boosting your energy, calming nerves and helping with sore muscles. It also potentially helps to lower blood pressure and prevent migraines.
- Deficiency symptoms: Loss of appetite, nausea, dizziness, muscle cramps and weakness.
- Best foods: Leafy greens like spinach and chard, black beans, pumpkin seeds, almonds and yogurt.
- Stress-busting benefits: Helping lower blood pressure if yours is high, aiding in sleep and calming nerves.
- Deficiency symptoms: There may be no symptoms in the short term, but, over time, deficiency can lead to decreased bone mass and a high risk of fractures and osteoporosis.
- Best foods: Yogurt, broccoli, kale, almonds, navy beans, blackstrap molasses, figs and salmon.
- Stress-busting benefits: Supports normal thyroid function, and it even regulates how fast your heart beats.
- Deficiency symptoms: Brain fog or decreased ability to work and think clearly.
- Best foods: Scallops, cod, yogurt, eggs and cranberries as well as iodized salt.
- Stress-busting benefits: Supports metabolism and helps boost your energy stores.
- Deficiency symptoms: Lack of energy, upset stomach, poor concentration and memory and a decreased ability to fight off infection.
- Best foods: Lentils, quinoa, lean meats, seafood, spinach, beans and cashews.
Find your calm
Visit our Pinterest page for more stress-fighting tips.
- Mayo Clinic – mayoclinic.org
- Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health – ods.od.nih.gov