Don’t let dinner get boring! It’s time to mix things up with this tasty Korean Beef Stir-Fry. Packed with flavor and a protein punch, this recipe will satisfy your taste buds and keep your engines running. Make a double batch tonight, and tomorrow’s lunch will be a no-brainer.
We’ve got dinner covered
Check out our Healthy Recipes on Pinterest for more tasty dinnertime inspiration.
Korean Beef Stir-Fry
- 3 tablespoons mirin (see Tips)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 ounces flank steak, trimmed of fat and very thinly sliced against the grain (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons jalapeño pepper, or to taste, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 4 cups mung bean sprouts
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (see Tips), optional
- Combine mirin, soy sauce and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spread steak out in the pan and cook until seared on one side, about 1 minute.
- Add garlic, jalapeño and ginger. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add bean sprouts and spinach (the pan will be very full).
- Pour the mirin mixture into the pan and stir gently until the sauce thickens and the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro and sesame oil. Serve topped with sesame seeds (if using).
- Mirin is a low-alcohol rice wine essential to Japanese cooking. Look for it in the Asian or gourmet-ingredients section of your supermarket. An equal portion of sherry or white wine with a pinch of sugar may be substituted for mirin.
- If you have a little extra time before dinner, then put the steak in the freezer for about 20 minutes to help make it easier to slice thinly.
- To toast sesame seeds, heat a small dry skillet over low heat. Add sesame seeds and stir constantly until golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
Serving size: 2 cups
Fat: 17 g
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Protein: 35 g
Added sugar: 0 g
Fiber: 6 g
Sodium: 680 mg
Potassium: 1,237 mg