These days, our hectic lifestyles can make sitting down to eat feel more like a race than a meal. But simply eating slowly and mindfully can have big health benefits. Besides aiding with digestion, research has shown that mindful eating may also help you lose weight and keep it off.
Give it a try and see how easy and effective this one simple step can be. Instead of plopping yourself in front of the TV at dinnertime, try:
- Sitting at a table, where you can devote your attention to your food versus your favorite show.
- Focusing on each bite and noticing the taste, smell and texture of your food.
- Chewing slowly, pausing between bites.
- Stopping when you begin to feel full versus when your plate is empty.
And you’ll want to slow down and savor the recipe below!
Love at first bite
Find more ideas for healthy eating and weight loss on our Healthy Weight Tips page on Pinterest.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pho
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (two 32-ounce boxes)
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
10 whole star anise
6 whole cloves
1 piece of fresh ginger (about 2 inches), peeled and thinly sliced
1 cinnamon stick
2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 2½ pounds total), skin removed, trimmed
6 ounces wide rice noodles
6 cups bok choy, chopped
2 cups mung bean sprouts
2 cups fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 fresh Thai chile or serrano, thinly sliced
1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- Combine broth, brown sugar, fish sauce, star anise, cloves, ginger and cinnamon stick in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add chicken breasts, meat-side down. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours (or on low for 8 hours).
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Use a strainer or slotted spoon to remove spices from the broth and discard. Add noodles and bok choy to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the bone and shred with two forks. When the noodles are tender, stir in the shredded chicken. Serve bowls of soup with bean sprouts, basil, mint, cilantro, sliced chile and lime wedges on the side so that everyone can add their own toppings.
Serving size: about 2 cups
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 39 g
Protein: 38 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 594 mg
Potassium: 954 mg